IN THIS SECTION
At Walkergate Community School we recognise the diversity of experience and learning that each child brings to school. We build upon this is to give the children the skills, enjoyment, learning and knowledge they need for the future.
We aim to provide experiences and opportunities for learning that are rich and rewarding, where success is celebrated and children are encouraged to become confident lifelong learners.
The Newcastle Promise
We are very proud that as a school we are supporting the ‘Newcastle Promise’ and committing to providing the best education possible for the children in our area.
We are working towards gaining recognition as a School of Sanctuary
What is a School of Sanctuary?
A School of Sanctuary is a school that helps its students, staff and wider community understand what it means to be seeking sanctuary and to extend a welcome to everyone as equal, valued members of the school community. It is a school that is proud to be a place of safety and inclusion for all.
Why become a School of Sanctuary?
Schools of Sanctuary is an initiative which aims to:
- Engage families and strengthen our role in the local community
- Build a culture that reduces intolerance, hate speech and bullying
- Promote positive attitudes within schools and their communities around people seeking sanctuary
- Support schools to take positive steps and to be proud of being places of safety and inclusion for all
- Recognise and celebrate schools that are committed to welcoming and supporting people seeking sanctuary.
Our aim is to create a safe environment that includes everybody in school, regardless of where people come from or what they look like.